Thursday, September 16, 2010

Just Try It

As I mentioned in my last post,
I started the Special K diet.
Before that,
I was also making myself try new things
(and even try old things again)
just because I am getting older
and my taste-buds are changing.

I like salads,
but ever since I was little I haven't liked lettuce anywhere else.
So, I tried to stop ordering things "without lettuce"
but that is one thing that I truly don't like.
I don't know why,
maybe it makes things taste watered down?
Just not my cup of tea I guess.

Then there are things like strawberries.
I have never liked the texture of a strawberry,
there are too many seeds... gross.
However,
I have recently started to enjoy
strawberry lemonade
strawberry (virgin) daquriis
and strawberry juices.

I've always been a ranch lover.
But, I decided it was time to try something new
something healthier on my salads
(although fat-free ranch is still
one of the healthiest dressings sodium wise.)
I like zesty italian
and some caesar dressings.
Next on the list is to try oil and vinegar,
as I have heard that's the healthiest.
However,
the stuff at the store,
is very unhealthy.
So that's still a to-do,
since I would rather have ranch
than oil and vinegar.

I tried Jessi's jallepeno wrap things,
which have three things that I don't like:
jallepenos (side note: ON A STEEEK!)
cream cheese,
and bacon.
They didn't taste bad,
but it's not something I would go out of my way to try.
However,
I'm glad I tried them (twice)
because now I am sure
that I really don't like those things
and I'm not just trying to be different from everyone :P

When I work with Seazun,
I usually let her pick my Starbucks drink
and what I'm going to eat
(if I eat something from Food Ave)
and she has had me try some nasty stuff,
(like one of the carmel drinks with SALT in it... EW!)
but some things are good.
It's gotten me away from drinking the same thing all the time.
Last time, she had me order cheese fries
with a side of jallepenos.
That was what got me to realize
WHY
everyone seems to like those things:
Cheese and fries are pretty bland alone,
but when you add a little kick
(such as a jallepeno)
they taste pretty darn good.
Although,
my mouth was on fire afterwards.
Again,
not my favorite thing to eat,
but definately a good try.

A while back,
my mom accidently ordered banana peppers on my Subway sandwich.
Since I was trying new things,
I didn't peal them off like I normally do.
Instead, I tried it and now,
guess what?
I get them every time I go to Subway.

One thing that I realized in trying new things,
I really enjoy eating healthy stuff.
Cantelope and watermelon are my favorite snacks.
Spinach and mushroom pizza is delisious.
Water tastes SO much better
when soda has been cut out of your diet.
Salad can be AMAZING with the right additions
(ie Steak, onions, tomatoes...)

Also, on a side note,
the healthier I eat,
the less I like unhealthy things.
The vanilla in the Special K cereal has become super sweet
and the chocolate is sometimes too much.
I only had ONE cupcake at Susie's trial,
and even that felt like a lot.
I don't eat ice cream as much
(although it is still my favorite dessert.)

This post has gotten a bit off track,
as it was supposed to be about trying new things
and it's kind of turned into eating healthier.
But as my title suggests,
I am only encouraging you to do what I have started to do:
just try it.
I am so happy that I did.

2 comments:

  1. There are so many things that are healthy that are yummy! If you can find yogurt salad dressing it's really good. I was hesitant to try it at first because eww gross haha but it's great and it comes without all the artificial stuff as the "light" kinds of dresssing. They have different flavors like ranch in different brands. The most popular brand is litehouse. It's also called "kiefer" dressing. Let me know if you try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks for the suggestion! Sounds like a good thing to try, I never would have thought of yogurt as a dressing :p The things people come up with...

    ReplyDelete