Thursday, December 17, 2009

Shaken

Today started off as an average day. Woke up, goofed off on the computer, picked up artwork from school, and then covered for my brother at Homestead.

In the end, not so normal.

I had just finished putting away all of my money and getting my reports finished for the night. About a half hour earlier, I had sent some guests to my hotel two miles away since there were no available rooms at Homestead. Her friends came to the desk and asked why the desk clerk wasn't helping at Extended Stay. I called over, and Connie answered the phone; it was just past ten thirty. It didn't even occur to me why her voice was so quiet, I simply explained to Connie the discounted rate and everything before she said, voice shaking, "Brittney...." Silence. "Connie?" Again her voice was shaking, "Brittney. Carrie is being robbed. We're being robbed."

"What?!"

"Brittney, what do I do?"

"Call the police! I'll be there in ten minutes."

I finished closing in a hurry and drove to Extended Stay. There were four police officers there, and Carrie was standing outside smoking a cigarette. She was shaking... I offered to take her over to Cajin's house, but she said she could drive. I helped the police get the tape and set up the tiny TV for them to be able to watch, then I helped Carrie fill out the incident report. She didn't want to, and I could totally understand but it had to be done. I talked to Christine for her and Laila showed up shortly after. We let her take over from there.

Carrie was just about to count the cash drawer when two black men, early twenties came into the hotel. They asked for a room, and after she gave them a quote, one of them slid a piece of paper across the desk saying "ALL YOUR MONEY" then the second guy pulled out a gun and pointed it at her, "We aren't joking." She gave them the drawer, and they asked for the safe as well. She acted like she was going to get it, but instead locked herself in the backroom. She didn't come back out until after the police had arrived; Connie stayed in the break room. When Carrie gave police the description of the men, they knew exactly who she was talking about.

Was the $98.00 worth it guys? I hate you!

And Extended Stay, I hate you too.
No manager, no coworkers...
all alone, night time, 20 years old.
Not okay.
We're getting security
for the next seven days.
Ha!
Seven days?
That's it?
At least work two people at once.
Sheesh.

1 comment:

  1. That is SO scary! I'm glad everything was okay in the end. Good lord.. i'm unsure what i would do if that happened to me. Carrie was smart!

    ReplyDelete