Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Extended Stay America

I have been working for Extended stay for fourteen months now; we just got our old area manager back. The first three months that I worked for this company, the hotel was no where near what it is now, and Christene is going to run it right back into the ground. On Friday I was warned that my hours would be cut by Victoria. I didn't realize that I was the only front desk person that would be getting fewer hours. I love Carrie, she's on of my best friends, but it is so not fair that they gave her forty hours a week and cut hours from me. I cannot believe that I have been working here the longest, and just because I go to school and the simple fact that Christene doesn't like me, I get the sh!t end of the stick. She has only been here officially since Monday, and already she has half the staff ready to quit. I don't want to quit; I really don't. Usually in this company though, getting fewer hours is their way of saying that you should just go. Plus, I am not able to handle working for someone that is constantly spreading rumors about me. It's so high school!

All of the changes are stupid. I'll go along with them because I have to and as an underling that's just what you do. However, this hotel was working smoothly enough to where we didn't need any changes, so I don't understand why there are so many being made. Christene refuses to actually train our new manager, so she knows nothing of her job and just basically sits around doing nothing. I think once Dana knows what to do, she'll be a fine manager. Until then, we're out of luck. I refuse to call Christene with any problems. Refuse. Okay, maybe that's a lie. Luckily, I don't have to call a manager much since I know how to do my job, but when I do I'm going to have to call her. If anything is done in a way that she doesn't like, it's going to be redone anyway so I might as well do it her way first.

Here are some of the changes:

Guests must now give forty-eight hours notice if they want to extend. (Does she not realize how many guests we have that extend on a daily basis?)

Every time there is any change on a registration card, we must print a new one. No just rewriting what needs to be done. (Waste of paper.)

Because I've requested off four days since January of this year, I get no more vacation time. (When she hired me a year ago, she knew that I take off Thanksgiving. She knew it! And yet, now I get no more time off? What about all the people that request off once every other week? Because it's not a holiday they can do it? Tammy and Carrie want to work Thanksgiving, so what the heck is the big deal???)

Housekeepers are no longer allowed to stay and finish rooms. So if they have six hours on their board, but one of the room takes them two hours as I have seen it take before, too bad so sad. (We're going down with dirty rooms, which then means that we can't rent those rooms, which then makes people very angry because they can still book those rooms online.)

Tammy is being promoted, I am getting my hours cut.

We have twice as much useless paperwork to fill out.
[[Busywork.]]

Mike has to get 10 pms done per week. (On top of all of the maintenance orders and other problems around this hotel? He's lucky if he gets one done a week.)

To top things off, they want to hire another front desk clerk. (Really?)

I know that I'm just complaining right now, but I am so... upset. I know that I'm not the best worker in the world and I know that the company would do just fine without me, but at the same time it would be so nice to have a boss that didn't gossip like a little school girl, or change ever darn thing in the hotel. We were doing just fine before, leave it be.

I want to stay here and see how things work out
but at the same time,
is it really worth the effort?
The longer I stay
the better it will look on my resume.
The longer I stay
the more experience I will have in the hotel industry.
The longer I stay
the more time I will waste on a dead-end job.
The longer I stay
the more worthless and useless I will feel.

I’m good with people
I love to help out
My heart goes into my work
And I never call off

[[Eventually, everything is going to be okay.]]

No comments:

Post a Comment